Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Bridge Too Far  (Read 9017 times)

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
A Bridge Too Far
« on: February 10, 2018, 09:27:18 AM »
Let's get the ball rolling. This is for next year. Big Game somewhere in Dorset to celebrate 75th Anniversary of 1944.  Sean suggested Arnehem ? There seems to be a good vibe about doing this. We all know the history and there 50-50 parts that are up for a fight that we can wargame and maybe rework the Historic Truth ! As the Germans so nearly done this year ? So we can represent 3-4 Aspects of the drive up to Arnehem ?
So everyone gets a chance to get vehicles, troops and scenery done for early next year, rather than rushing in the last 6 weeks beforehand !!! We need British Paratroopers, American Paratroopers some German Paratroopers ? British Armour, Guards and 11th Armoured divisions? And Germans with some weird and wonderfully tanks and vehicles ! ( char B flamethrower and other converted French tanks for secruity ?) As well as more normal tanks and infantry.
Do we want to go with this ?
Who wants to be involved ?
Who wants to take lead in any aspect of the preparations ? As this needs to be shared, otherwise it's all to consuming very quickly and puts people off doing it again !
Then eventually we can get forces needed and organised and scenery done at a more leisurely pace !
Then if we do agree with what we want to do which bits of the campaign do we want in ?
Miles

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: A Bridge Too Far
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 09:27:26 AM »
Arnhem does sound interesting.
British germans and Us.  There are lot in the possession of participants.
Scenery. Do you intend to have bridges.
Glider models. fair few in member's possession?
Are all the combat areas playable in terms of durtion and number of troops?
How many players.  12 to 16?
Are you going to d the drops? I suggest it might be a lump of wasted time?  Maybe just start the game with troops on the ground.
Leave out air power?
Decide how useful "bridge too far" is for reference by those playing. If it is pretty good the recommend that all watch it.  Suggest parts which are not accurate (if any). I mean tactical and strategic not minor /vehicle details.
Should some games start earlier than others?

All sounds very interesting.
This might be an area for PBI simplification like Mike did with opp/return shooting.
Game probably best doe in a dedicated place rather than enjoyment etc.

martin

PS  I painted a lot of US paras for Ardennes so I expect others have US and German stuff too.

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 01:26:13 PM »
I have British and US paras + Lots of Armor

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 01:37:09 PM »
Hope they get out of the greenhouse ok.

And Micheal Caine survives!

Who's the lucky player who's going to get Frost's command, light work in the afternoon.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 03:51:36 PM »
My feeling would be to do a 3 group of tables.
One with “Hells Highway”  around Helmond just East of Eindhoven ? Or Groesbeek Heights ?east of Nijmegen. The battle trying to keep the road open and not being flanked by the Germans coming from Germany it self !
The Grenadier Guards and US paras fight to get to the Bridge In Nijmegen? Before the Bridge blows up ?
Then either the fight at the Bridge head at Arnhem itself or the fight around Oosterbeek trying to keep the “Pocket” open ?
That way the Germans as well as the Allies have things to gain ?
We know that they landed and we know that most of the Bridges were captured etc. As Micheal done with the Ardennes game we know certain parts of History have happened but it’s the points of contention that we need to try and fight out ?
The Allies need to establish all three “Tables” to win the game while the Germans need to Establish themselves on Two of the tables to win and say if the “Hells Highway” table gets cut off the Allies reinforcements get delayed ?
If we try to do the landings etc so much to Organise? So I would say a no go area ? And if we try and have a Bridge involved again problems with space etc ?
That’s my thoughts anyway ?
We need to keep the logistics down where possible? So we can concentrate on getting the game right and keeping it in the realms of the rules...
Miles

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 05:24:24 PM »
It sounds like things are starting to shape up nicely, Miles.

If you can start to get a feel of who's coming, what they're bringing, and therefore what's missing, I'm happy to have a go at painting up a force (and maybe doing some scenery too), with enough notice. Or maybe simply use this as an excuse to get my Late War Germans done...

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 06:12:54 PM »
Simon it would be better if you said" I am interested " and then you can say I Need to bring some Germans !!!
Then I would an even better idea on numbers ?
Miles

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 09:29:54 PM »
Simon it would be better if you said" I am interested " and then you can say I Need to bring some Germans !!!
Then I would an even better idea on numbers ?
Miles

Thank you Miles, that helps!

a) I am interested
b) I need to bring some Germans
c) these will be Volksgrenadiers (as I already have some in need of painting) unless instructed otherwise.

How's that?  :)

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 10:41:16 PM »
Surely an approximation of the Arnhem bridge would be a focal point?
I did "do" the Arnhem drive some years ago. The Hartenstein hotel museum has some on line photos.  SPI did a very good version of te bridges. Maybe some one could buy it to get all the historic details, strengths and other stuff??

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 05:17:36 AM »
Well this is why I am starting the event now. We need to work out what we want to archive and what we can do to archive it. With laser cutters and MDF now doing a bridge isn't  such a Big thing now or at least part of ! Yes we must have a "table" with the British Paras on it. We must have a "table" that represents "Hells Highway" and another ? Yes we should have at least part of a Bridge on one of the table's as the game is about the Bridges !!!

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 09:19:03 AM »
Maybe have one table that is only 2 foot wide but 8 feet long. That player could literally fight his way up the road?

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 05:35:04 PM »
How about those german panzer units are not there, but merely old men and bicycles. German commander rols a D6 at game start. Score of 1,2,3 = no german frontline units there. Just two platoons of fortress infantry? Thus only 2 German players needed.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 07:13:15 PM »
How about those german panzer units are not there, but merely old men and bicycles. German commander rols a D6 at game start. Score of 1,2,3 = no german frontline units there. Just two platoons of fortress infantry? Thus only 2 German players needed.

Good idea, but perhaps not so good for Martin's sales of Germans figures?

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 06:55:00 AM »
I think we have to game say on day 3 ?
History has dictated what has happened ? We need to be able to game so bits of the campaign that go under the title "what could have happened  if ?" That's why I am saying a Hells Highway table, Nijmegen type, and of course a section of the British Paras struggle to survive? We know roughly what was there and when etc , it's a case of WARGAMMERS  interpretation of the facts to fit the game and maybe the result ?
Like Mike done with the Ardennes Game, most of what we done had gone on in the history books, But ?
That's what made the game interesting ? We need to represent and assume certain things have gone on as the history books tell us. Game the bits that could go either way. Because history tells us that, up the the River Rhine the Allies had won, but by not capturing the Arnehem Bridge head the Allies had lost, Fact ?
Miles

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 05:10:16 PM »
Need some input please ?
The idea of Arnehem next year seems to be slowly rolling forward. Stewart has suggested a Big Beachhead Assault as well. So I think we should do both somehow or another ?
So I have suggested we can do Arnehem early next year ? And the Beach Assault would replace the PBI games day later next year ? As me and Colin were thinking of progressing Stewart's Beachhead assault game for some shows next year using a 6x4 table !
As both of these games require,Allied Tanks and troops and German Armour and troops of 1944 vintage this should make things easier for gamers on this Forum to help and particapate ???
We as a group need to help get troops and vehicles together for both of these events, as we showed we can for the Ardennes Game.
So I am suggesting that I take lead for the Arnehem game !
I would suggest Stewart takes Lead for the Big Beach Assault game.
But we All help in whatever field you are good at doing ? Even if it's painting 400 points of troops and forces or 3-4 templates needed for the game ??? Trust me any help is always welcome.
Miles