Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Attachments  (Read 169 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
    • Lurkio
Attachments
« on: May 10, 2019, 11:31:34 AM »
As part of a bit of housekeeping I'm looking at the attachments folder. We have 365 attachment for just over .5GB in space... while in this day and age this isn't a lot, this is 80% of the total size of the RFCM forum!  Given that we are on a budget here I'd like to instigate some new parameters

I've restricted the file size for file uploads to 1.5MB . Given most of the attachments here are images you need to be mindful on uploading images direct from phones (these images are far too large)  - so you might get a few error messages. I'm not going to housekeep uploads that are over this size currently - but that is an option.

there are a couple of largish PDFs that I'll manually prune (both over 10MB)

We could set an age out also , so attachments over 365 days could be deleted. Which seems a bit draconian, but ideally I'd want this forum to be lean based on the requirement.

thanks
Simon

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Attachments
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 12:48:14 PM »
You do good work Simon. Thanks for doing it . The commissariat applauds your work comrade.  Please slash and burn.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 01:49:44 PM »
Good stuff, Simon. Maybe public floggings (we don't have enough of this) for future miscreants?

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 02:38:21 PM »
Iíll keep posting, you remove if necessary. IT is a jungle to me so no idea how to fiddle with photos. I inconvenient will just no longer post pictures, but this will probably make the 15 Mill articles a bit dull.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 02:41:11 PM »
Agree with Martin Simon.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
    • Lurkio
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 03:31:11 PM »
I inconvenient will just no longer post pictures

You can post pictures ideally from 3rd party sites,  img - facebook etc. Andy , I know you can do it - i saw you post a pic from facebook  ;)

Big Mike

• Wild Boar
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 03:52:55 PM »
Great to see my name up in lights....but for the wrong reasons ! I approve of heavy pruning so prune away. In fact, the Ardennes PDF can be removed now and anyone still interested can contact "Big Mike
Direct". Keep up the good work.

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 11:18:19 AM »
I post all my pictures from Facebook these days. Does this not have the same impact as posting from a site like Photobucket? As I said I donít really get IT and have no idea how these things are costed.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
    • Lurkio
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 12:37:38 PM »
Does this not have the same impact as posting from a site like Photobucket

The difference is where the physical file is...    When you make an 'attachment' here you are uploading the files to the RFCM server (at our ISP) which has a monetary cost... which we want to try to avoid

Photobucket , IMGR & Facebook are exactly want we want to promote, as they host the file on their servers .. RFCM just links to that file via the [IMG] tag in your post

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 09:46:16 AM »
It would appear then that I have no idea how to make an attachment and am doing things right.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
    • Lurkio
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 10:03:52 AM »
It would appear then that I have no idea how to make an attachment and am doing things right.

always the best !