Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Posting photographs on the internet for showing on the RCFM pages.  (Read 579 times)

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Can some one post an update on using photographs on the RCFM site referencing photographs from another internat location.

I know that photos use a lot of space on the RCFM web site and this is then helped by using other places to put the photos and then reference them.

I know there have been problems with photobucket.  I now use IMGUR to host my photos and then reference them. What sites do others use?

Can the instructions be explained in simple one step actions. Martin has pictures he wants to display and I expect other do as well.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Posting photographs on the internet for showing on the RCFM pages.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 02:36:45 PM »
Les,

Very good point about it not being a good idea to post photos directly here (I see standards have been slipping at times...).

I think your question is in two parts:
  • what sites are good to store pictures on
  • how to then link from this Forum to images hosted elsewhere
We've done both topics a few times, but this might be a good place to revisit both of them.

Regarding hosting sites:
 - you use imgur.com
 - I use Tinypic.com
 - Simon C has previously suggested photobucket [assuming one pays], flickr, imageshack
 - one can also have one's own server / blog / website

Regarding posting the images here (once they've been hosted on one of the above sites or similar), you basically a URL / web address sandwiched between a couple of "IMG" codes. Most sites will provide these for you as an "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" link you can simply copy and paste into the body of your message on this Forum.

The way that these IMG codes (and others to format text in Forum postings) work is that you:
  • start the line with IMG (between square brackets - if I type the code here it will try to post a picture....)
  • then include the link to the image
  • finally close the instruction with /IMG within square brackets

There is a video showing you how to post images to SMF Forums (ours is one of these) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGTrPwvaV4g

The following discussions on this Forum might also help:

http://rulesforcommonman.uk/smf/index.php?topic=7.msg349#msg349

http://rulesforcommonman.uk/smf/index.php?topic=122.msg486#msg486

http://rulesforcommonman.uk/smf/index.php?topic=126.msg499#msg499

Does any of this help?

SimonC

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 03:03:33 PM »
An alternative to getting a 3rd party hosting account is just use facebook. You can upload photo there. They don't have to be public albums then 'copy image address'  URL and past it between your IMG tags

Click the 'insert image' button that will give you require syntax

Code: [Select]
[IMG ] you add your URL here [/IMG]

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 04:28:38 PM »
Remember its Martin I was asking for and other users of this forum who are not over computer litrate and may be a little nervous of posting pictures of their efforts.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 04:34:39 PM »
Remember its Martin I was asking for and other users of this forum who are not over computer litrate and may be a little nervous of posting pictures of their efforts.

Les,

Simon and I are trying to help - can you clarify what you feel is missing / confusing in our posts?

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 04:36:59 PM »
Just got a facebook account and already all at sea and floundering. Took me bloody years and hours of frustration to post my first picture on a forum. I have no intention of going through that again with the sand rapidly running out of my personal egg-timer.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 04:38:51 PM »
You just need a correct *.pdf with screen shots of each step.

Radar

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 04:57:11 PM »
It is daunting, but once you have got your head around it, it is pretty straight forward. A bit like doing headswap. Only headswap are harder.

First your picture has to be somewhere else, Facebook, Blogger, or one of the picture hosting sites.

Best to open two tabs - one the thread on RFCM on which you wish to post, the other your picture.
Go to the picture tab, now right click on your picture (which should bring up an on-screen menu) and select the option "copy link" - different systems use slightly different words, but it should have the word "copy" maybe "link" and maybe "address".

When you've copied the link address of the picture, go to your RFCM tab. Now go down to the write message box. Simple way is to click on the picture of Mona Lisa. This automatically puts the formatting required to show your web address (of the picture) as a picture rather than just the actual address. You need to right click where the cursor is (between the two {img}{/img}formatting bits). Then paste your link address into the space.

That's it really.

If it hasn't worked you made find that the cursor was in the wrong place. The line needs to read {img}a web address here, usually ending .jpg{/img}
Obviously no gaps. I've had to type it like that so the forum software doesn't try to convert my text into a picture. Please note {} should be square brackets, trying to use them in text upsets the forum software.

Same applies to embedding website addresses. Only instead of Mona Lisa you need the globe icon.

Try it out on this thread. Try and post a picture. If it doesn't work, the text will show, and someone will explain what went wrong and how to fix it.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 06:35:40 PM »
Martin with all the guidance below do you now feel confidant to post some pictures?

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 06:41:19 PM »
Personnally i find doing headswaps very easy..... but i do have a very good Dremel.
But computer stuff mmm quite a bit harder.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 07:10:12 PM »
Thanks for all the help team.  i will get on to it this week!!

martin

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 07:19:56 PM »
I must have some computer version of dyslexia - you all may as well be writing in Mandarin. Headswaps one the other hand - piece of cake.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 12:31:28 AM »

Never knew you could use Facebook. To celebrate my new found knowledge and in anticipation of the upcoming Squarebashing day, I found this picture in the depths of my own Facebook account to trial.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 12:32:35 AM »

Well that turned out nice. Thanks for the tip Simon!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 12:35:43 AM »
Another one to prove it wasn't a fluke. The Somme at the Weymouth Wargames Weekend.