Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Currently Reading  (Read 3152 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Currently Reading
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2017, 02:34:44 PM »
That sounds interesting, Les.

Maybe post a quick synopsis here too, once you've finished it?

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2017, 07:46:44 PM »
Once a Warrior King. David Donovan. 1985.

An autobiography written around the memories of an officer in Vietnam.  He was a captain in the army who was trained at the Special Warfare school.  He was posted to a Vietnamese village in the Mekong Delta near the Cambodian border in 1969.  The book recounts the exploits of the five man Mobile Advisory Team (MAT) that he is sent to command.  His rolls are many in the villages around their fort.  The MAT is at the bottom of the pecking order, so with in the army system it struggles to get any support, but the team is looked up to by the Vietnamese as being able to solve all problems.  A lot of the problems are not always with the Viet Cong.
 A really good read, written in a very simple way that makes it easy to enjoy, although it is about a difficult war

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2017, 07:18:40 AM »
Thanks Les - that sounds like a really interesting book.

And a good one to read while awaiting those new Montagnards....?

Leman

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2017, 07:34:44 AM »
'The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared' - hilarious novel about the life of a very ordinary Swedish man who inadvertently became involved in major events and personalities of the the C20th.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2017, 08:27:21 PM »
I have just finished George Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia".

I found this a thoughtful and well-observed account of events from an albeit narrow personal experience on a quiet section of the front.

Orwell appears to have been quite brave personally (volunteering for a number of raids, for example) and was clearly fond of the Spanish people: he writes what appears to be a thoughtful and objective (based on the facts available to him) read. It is interesting that, in 1938 when he wrote it, he had already foreseen much of what would inevitably play out in the following year.

This is a pretty easy and very nicely written - quite gripping and hard to put down. Recommended!

Duncan

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »
The fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2017, 10:39:19 PM »
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Hemingway
As I Walked Out One Midsummers Morning and A Moment of War - Laurie Lee

All good reads with the Laurie Lee ones being autobiographical.

John in York

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2017, 07:20:54 PM »
I've just started 'The Spanish Civil War' by Hugh Thomas. A monumental account of the conflict which I've been meaning to read for ages.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
BATTLE!
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2017, 12:22:17 PM »
Who remembers this classic title.

That old classic BATTLE! - Practical Wargaming is back in and in a hardback edition. Caliver books have just re-published it at 27.50.

I seem to remember it originally was 5.00 or so, but a good set of rules of their time.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2017, 11:39:25 PM »
Just finished "Gone Native - An NCO's Story". Covers the 7 years of the author's tours in Vietnam: as a LRRP, in Special Forces and as a montagnard advisor. Some of the LRRP anecdotes are already covered in the "Six Silent Men" series, as he served with their authors, but the most interesting bits are descriptions of the montagnard actions.

This particular montagnard company was certainly not "Raw", moving both faster and more quietly than the Americans with them [who were really just there as medics and to call in the heavy firepower when needed] and launching some very successful ambushes on both Main Force VC and NVA.

They notably had an "AK squad" that walked point, dressed in black pyjamas and carrying AK47s to confuse the enemy. So it seems that we can very legitimately add VC figures into the mix that we could use within a montagnard force.

Leman

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2017, 04:14:35 PM »
Jackboot - a History of the German Soldier. So far I am up to the Napoleonic Wars and it is almost exclusively about Prussian officers and leaders rather than the actual squaddies.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2017, 11:16:35 PM »
Just started 'Crazy Horse and Custer' by Stephen Ambrose. Only a few pages in but already very interesting.

Did you know that one of the first dozen or so horses introduced to the Americas was a 'pinto' or 'piebald' and that this breed prospered and became a favourite of the Indian tribes. So much so that the Indians painted their horses white on brown or brown on white to resemble the colour of the pinto.

Interesting!

Leman

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2017, 11:07:36 AM »
Jackboot was ditched as a poor read. I am now reading through the massive tome which is Tin Soldiers in Action. It is an interesting twist on the Square Bashing approach that covers the period approx 1670 - 1915.
I am looking at it mainly as a system for my 15mm early WWI stuff and some 6mm stuff I have acquired from a mate for mid C18th. I will have to use two approaches as the 6mm stuff (unsurprisingly) is unit based, whereas I intend to use the 15mm on bases similar to those recommended in The Piikeman's Lament, i.e. 3s, 2s and 1s on circular bases. Could be the answer to my quest for low level WWI.

Mike6t3

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2017, 06:53:25 PM »
Just finished Outlander by Diana Gabbledon. Quite enjoyable if you can get past the Evil English victimising the Noble Highlanders attitude.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2017, 07:36:43 PM »
I've heard good things about Outlander. Might give it a go.