Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another day, another battle  (Read 116 times)

Leman

• Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
Another day, another battle
« on: August 10, 2017, 03:17:49 PM »
The armies are the same, but this time the pre-game campaign gave a somewhat different outcome. Despite an overwhelming success by the Prussians (attackers), the French only lost four bases and four units into reserve. The Prussians themselves lost two bases. Some photos taken at the end of turn one - the Prussians put in a successful barrage, followed up by taking both the grand manor and the knoll. The French took some damage amongst their cavalry and artillery but managed to bring on a fresh unit. If the French stand their ground they will only have one objective under their control, so it will be necessary for them to launch an attack at some point.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Another day, another battle
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 09:23:12 PM »
Great to see photos Leman, Splendid

Leman

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 07:57:37 PM »
I took the overhead shot before putting out the fort which the French defenders had opted for. In the FPW, the earthen forts were not as big as the early WWI forts like Liege, so this fort was placed on one BUA tile. It still gets the infantry unit garrison, but just the three guns, no machine gun.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 09:15:28 PM »
That's some lovely modelling, Leman!

Leman

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »
The fort is a model produced by Pendraken, currently out of production. I gave it a muddy appearance, with some engineers still carrying out a bit of work on it. All the figures are Pendraken French 10mm - the guns are the heavier 12pdrs, the crews are naval, just for a change. The Interloper is the stack of shells by Irregular Miniatures.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 08:56:28 PM »
And very effective it all is too!

It's really nice to see the additional detail that can be added in to the smaller scales (for which 10mm is probably the lower limit). I've been impressed too seeing what folk have done particularly on their command bases for 15mm Square Bashing armies too: it makes things come alive a bit more and really brings some individuality to the army.

Leman

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 09:07:36 AM »
One I did earlier:

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 09:59:29 AM »
Nice!

walburgrif

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 12:35:07 AM »
Hi Leman, and well done on the FPW variant and models.  You have imaginatively adapted SB for this intriguing period.   I particularly like the 'Withering Fire' rule which I think replicates a feature of the FPW well.  I can understand that we can rationalise the pre game mechanism/depletions as not a bombardment in the WW1 sense but as the strategic maneuvers by the attacker to trap outflank the defender.  However I find it difficult to understand the historical explanation of the barrage asset.  I'm pretty sure point/suppression barrages in the WWI sense could not occur using the direct fire artillery in use in the FPW.  I understand that you have reduced the effects and limited the Asset rolls quite substantially (French only get 2 dice!) but I feel they are probably best done away with entirely.  Keen to her your explanation :D

Leman

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 08:27:01 AM »
The Walter Schnaffs variant for the 2nd edition of Square Bashing was developed and made available for download by Lurkio - it does, however, perfectly suit my FPW units. The only barrage available in WS is the point barrage and the French only get 2 dice available for the whole game, whilst the Prussians get 8 dice. The French would be very lucky to get a barrage, whilst the Prussians realistically only have two opportunities to put in a barrage (in the previous game neither side succeeded in delivering a barrage). Furthermore the barrage has been reduced from three to two squares and hits are a D6-1 per square, so even a successful barrage could result in no hits or casualties, plus there are possibilities for undershooting and overshooting. I think this simplified version of the barrage exists to reflect the use of corps artillery assets by the Prussians in support of the divisional artillery. This was much less effective from the French and is reflected in their 2 dice allocation.

In the current game the French used both dice in move 1 and scored no 6s, so no barrage at all (once again the corps artillery was being husbanded and thus in the wrong place at the wrong time). The Prussians elected to use 5 dice and still only rolled one 6, but that meant the barrage went in. Both squares were on target. One square contained three infantry and one artillery unit, a two was then rolled and thus only one hit achieved. The other square contained both the French cavalry units and two artillery. A total of four hits were scored and the cavalry took three casualties - a similar occurrence to the opening Prussian artillery at Mars la Tour.

I do think that the barrage, having been modified from the WWI type, is justified and adds some flavour to the game. It is not off-table 60pdrs putting in a devastating barrage, but a smaller, softening up bombardment by corps assets.

Lurkio

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Lurkio
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 11:14:15 AM »
Leman is correct. The artillery units on table are divisional assets and the barrage assets reflect the availability of corps artillery assets.

How are you finding the rules Leman?

thanks
Simon

Leman

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 07:31:06 PM »
We are both really enjoying them. I have played a lot of WWI/1920s SB in the past, but really liked the idea of using the system for the FPW. My opponent has never played SB before and also has no experience of FPW warfare. After his stunning victory with the French in our last outing I suggested that he should have been born French in 1810 and joined the army. The FPW may have ended quite differently. He actually insisted on a re-match, so I think another convert to both rules and period has been found.