Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Waterloo  (Read 431 times)

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Waterloo
« on: January 24, 2018, 05:12:47 PM »
My Warterloo  battle mat (cigar battle mats) and buildings (irregular miniatures)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 05:17:01 PM »
That is all rather nice, Stewart. Do you have some others with your little men on - perhaps even a blow-by-blow account of your Christmas game?

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 05:50:22 PM »
This is the first chance I have had to get myWaterloo set out.
Busy doing western scenery and touching up my figures for up coming Ardennes game.
Also looking after grandkids because parents Ill.
I did have a look at my 6mm figures to remind my self where I am at, need to paint and base about 1/2 the Prussians but all the British and French are based and labelled including leaders. That is something I forgot I had done.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 05:55:57 PM »
Ah - sorry to hear about the family sickness - lots of it around at the moment, sadly.

But I wish I could find whole armies I'd kinda forgotten I'd already painted! :)

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 06:02:09 PM »
I knew I had painted/based the British and French but forgot I had labelled all the units and couldn’t remember how much of the Prussians I had done. Also found a 2nd set of La Haye sainte and Hougaumont.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 09:27:13 PM »
Despite its historical flaws and British bias (not many Dutch Belgians seen at all!), I think Waterloo is for me one of the best war films ever made. Imagine it today with CGI!

What rules would you use Stewart? Something like Volley and Bayonet?

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 09:33:30 PM »
Last outing we used ‘Napoleon’ seemed simple enough, we tried it at club with a couple of divisions per side.
I think a full ‘Waterloo’ would need a full day at least.
Open to other rule sets just haven’t tried any.

Big Mike

• Domestic Pig
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 12:42:13 AM »
I hear there is a remake of Waterloo on the stocks. I agree with you Sean, despite it being a lat 60's film, it is an outstanding piece of entertainment. I can still enjoy watching it 2  or 3 times a year. I have the book that was published on the films release with Ugo Pericoli's research notes into the uniforms and kit. I have since lost another book that had stills from the film, showing Russian army personnel dressed as British foot firing bolt action rifles.  Stewart, how about we schedule your 6mm Waterloo game for the Sunday at the  November weekend?

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 08:33:55 AM »
To be honest I have always found Waterloo a vey disappointing film. Can’t really say why, except there didn’t seem to be very much made of the holding of the buildings and the why, why moment is utterly cringeworthy. Zulu was a far superior film, even if not totally accurate. It might be that cinema doesn’t do massive scraps particularly well. The depiction of Little Round Top in Gettysburg was really gripping, because there were individuals to identify with, but Pickett’s charge, with trampolining Confederates, was again a little disappointing.