Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Square Bashing / Re: My first 1/2 inch Squarebashing armies
« Last post by Leslie BT on July 20, 2017, 07:37:26 PM »
excellent pictures of your game, the models and scenery all look great.
you dont have to go far for some of the scenic items just some lateral thinking.
Conquerors and Kings / Re: Ancients at Historicon
« Last post by Leman on July 20, 2017, 02:23:29 PM »
Mine are based for Impetus - nothing like WRG or DB burble, both of which are about as interesting as watching paint dry.
Hey you in the Jail! / Re: Sample force CATTLEMEN MOO
« Last post by Colonel Kilgore on July 20, 2017, 09:00:21 AM »
Here is the question.
Is that an "acceptable/desirable"  amount of figures to paint/buy??

Martin,

For me - absolutely. Enough to feel that it's more than a small skirmish, but not too onerous on painting time.

I recognise that we need "big" games [AK47, Square Bashing, ECW, SCW, ACW etc] to capture the flavour of certain conflicts but also like the smaller formats [Vietnam MOCB; not tried Pieces of Eight yet; now the new Western] with a much shorter-term prospect of getting one - and probably both - sides painted (or even multiple forces per side).

painting ... with speed its an evenings work. But with so few you might with to lavish some attention.

Er - it might be for you, but not for some lesser mortals like me! With only 4 or 5 hours per week, this will still take me a month or more...

But it's an effort I'm happy to put in with a clear end in sight. My first Square Bashing army, on the other hand, turned into something of a labour of love, with that love turning to something nearer dislike towards the bitter end!

Martin's "affordable access point" is interesting. Can we perhaps consider "starter" size forces that could be grown to play a larger and/or different kind of game (e.g. Square Bashing has "normal" and "big" options, with different points values for each). For me, the key is to quickly get something on the table to play with, which should in turn generate enough enthusiasm to buy and paint more.

As an example, the small force sizes (generally fewer than 50 figures) needed to get started in DBA have been a major factor in its success, and not stopped people then beefing these forces up / buying one or indeed many opponents for them.
Walter Schnaffs / Re: Walter Schnaffs playtest
« Last post by Leman on July 19, 2017, 07:47:54 PM »
Got my printer sorted, Walter Schnaffs  printed off and ready to playtest a week on Friday.
« Last post by martin goddard on July 19, 2017, 05:44:51 PM »
Will get one to you Simon.  By gunfights I was meaning the usual old west rules which are designed for each man to be individually considered.  Usually up to 10 figs aside. Usually set in a town street.   Wild west will group figures together and form battles.  The same forces used in HYITJ can be used for Wild west i think.   Some players will find it not for them (mostly because of grids and the lack of individual characters)I am sure but it will provide rules for a usually neglected part of the west. Additionally it will not call Indians and cavalry "factions"  of the same greater part.
« Last post by Lurkio on July 19, 2017, 05:13:10 PM »
so is it going to highly event /scenario driven?

no gunfights in the wild west ! what else is there?

shoot me a copy of the rules - I'm intrigued
« Last post by martin goddard on July 19, 2017, 05:10:52 PM »
Yes i was thinking of money and time costs.  The basic need I have is to know what will entice people in or provide an affordable access point.  Buildings. dependant on the army/force but usually about two 12x6 inch templates.
The rules are in a very early stage. i am putting it about(!) to see what initial feelings are and to allow folk to build an ary for the game. I am happy to send outa copy of the rough stuff if anyone sends me an e mail on peterpig@btinternet.com

Some things cannot change.  It will be gridded, use D6, have a pre-game, 2-3 hour duration , units, other scales allowed for.   It will not cover gunfights or 6 v 6 figure type games. There are a lot of those already?!

At the moment SCW is king for a couple more months!!!
« Last post by Lurkio on July 19, 2017, 04:48:40 PM »
are you talking cost () or effort (painting/collecting)

42 is less than a night out

painting ... with speed its an evenings work. But with so few you might with to lavish some attention.

Personally for these sort of skirmish type games its the terrain that is make or break, and is likely to cost far more that the figures. I 15mm MDF building is around the 10 mark, so how many are you looking for half a dozen?
Hey you in the Jail! / Sample force CATTLEMEN MOO
« Last post by martin goddard on July 19, 2017, 03:18:17 PM »
I have put together on paper a sample force of Cattlemen.
5 units
cattle men should be in about the middle as far as army size is concerned.
All bases 2 figures, leaders 1 figure.

Force leader(me)
3 mounted units. All long shooters. Average quality. 5 bases + 1 leader base. gives 11 figures per unit = 33 mounted figures.
2 foot  units. Long shooters. raw quality. 8 bases + 1 leader.  gives 17 figures per unit=34 figures.

Total = 13 packs plus deads etc= cost of 42

Here is the question.
Is that an "acceptable/desirable"  amount of figures to paint/buy??

The Men of Company B / Re: Vietnam at historicon
« Last post by Lurkio on July 19, 2017, 12:21:22 PM »
having trouble with photobucket

this is a global phenomenon ! :o
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10