Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Men of Company B / Re: Ken Burns Vietnam
« Last post by Sean Clark on September 19, 2017, 09:01:37 PM »
I have the audio book of the series. Ken Burns and Geoffrey Ward are excellent at their trade. I have watched 'The Civil War' countless times.

I wonder when we get to watch it over here.
General discussion / Re: 3d Printing and the Hobby
« Last post by Lurkio on September 19, 2017, 08:06:43 PM »
And yet if you put in Ak47 Scribd into google, first page I'd get a PDF of the rules. Just for example. I'm not advocating piracy, far from it,  but just illustrating it is right there. PP are probably effected only marginally. But there are pages and pages of ospreys , battlefront etc etc ... all the big names

This is just books, imagine it it were 3D files of miniatures
« Last post by Leslie BT on September 19, 2017, 06:17:55 PM »
Martin and Julie have spent a lot of time and energy over the years trying to maintain their business, and prevent various fellows copying their ideas and designs.
The Men of Company B / Re: New Units
« Last post by Tony on September 19, 2017, 08:29:43 AM »
Thank you both. It is also how I understood it but it was the use of the termini technici that confused me. Unit for both a single base and the normal usage s one of the 5 groups of bases.  Tony
« Last post by Lurkio on September 19, 2017, 08:26:07 AM »
My main thread here is not really about what we have now. It more of a future view.

3d printing will become cheaper, faster and 'in the home' that is pretty much a given in the next 5-10 years. Proprietary companies like Shapeways will be redundant much like digital bureaus were in the 90's.

There is a lot of talent in 3d rendering there is no doubt, but who it protect their IP?  Software copyright and protection is way behind the curve on policing  the law. Even if there is comprehensive digital signatures (like Germany are introducing for their fiscal laws right now for tax avoidance, for all commerce) there are also clever folk who hack and circumvent.

Game of Thrones season 7 was downloaded illegally 90 million times. Its a similar premise, they are all just 'files' at the end of the day

You might think that wargaming is 'under the radar' for anyone to bother. But looking now you can get all the Ospreys books illegally from sites like Scribd, and other Torrent sites. Any printed material you could probably find in a 30 minute trawl on Google.
« Last post by Colonel Kilgore on September 19, 2017, 08:15:45 AM »
Thank you, Les.

Fascinating stuff!
Piggy Days and Competitions / Re: PBI competition 2017
« Last post by Duncan on September 19, 2017, 02:42:35 AM »
In hope to pop into Entoyment on the day as I have been told I am shopping in Poole that day. Hopefully I will be able to drop my spouse and mater in the town and pick them up later giving me an hour or two free. Perhaps I will get there in time to go to the cashless Cafe with people as I intend to have my dinner there as well.
« Last post by Leslie BT on September 18, 2017, 08:52:38 PM »
Once you are familiar with the software the time will be in the research for the model, remember the model is complete on all surfaces so you need all the information for all the detail you wish to include that matches the scale of output, this is the biggest use of time.  Obviously you will have to decide on the level of detail for your webbing strap. It will take a little time to decided how much detail to add that can be seen.

You would still want to use a basic manikin to set it up and then decide on the basic figure and clone it to produce the variants.

But a good 3D sculptor who knows his software will give the green stuff sculptor a run for his money.  Remember he does not have to wait for the green stuff to cure.

Try this to understand some more http://pixologic.com/sculptris/
« Last post by Colonel Kilgore on September 18, 2017, 08:25:07 PM »
Wow - impressive stuff!

I wonder how long it would take to sculpt a "gaming-strength" robust 15mm figure in 3D vs. in green stuff? Presumably rather longer?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10