Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General discussion / Re: Military Modelling magazine
« Last post by Sean Clark on Today at 12:23:13 PM »
To be honest, most hobby magazines are only occasional purchases as I can get a daily fix of hobby content online.

General discussion / Re: Currently Reading
« Last post by Leman on Today at 08:59:46 AM »
Retreat and Rearguard 1914, by Jerry Murland. This is another very readable account of the early days of the BEF in Belgium and France. It includes a large number of extracts from first hand accounts and some good maps showing some of the smaller rearguard actions in the Great Retreat, which will prove very useful in constructing scenarios. I would highly recommend this to anyone interested in this very early period of the Great War.
General discussion / Re: Military Modelling magazine
« Last post by Leman on Today at 08:50:18 AM »
I too cut my teeth on Military Modelling and Airfix Magazine. MM had a few good articles but vitally for me, in the 60s and 70s, it had wargames adverts. AM provided me with all the conversion tips I needed for ACW games, and also introduced me to the Austro-Prussian War when I was 15. I had never heard of it until then, but was fascinated by the descriptions of all the different troop types. It has also provided me with one of the best painting guides to the FPW.
Eye Candy / Re: ECW dragoons
« Last post by Radar on Today at 08:45:43 AM »
Thanks. What has surprised me is the size of the footprint of the unit. It's massive in comparison to a regiment of foot or a similar sized cavalry regiment. All to field just 12 combatants.

Interesting thought: does this count as a 21 man regiment, a 12 man regiment or a 15?

(21 is all of the human figures, 12 the  actual number of fighting men, 15 fighting plus command - my foot are 34 man units and that includes command, do the 6 horseholders count as combatants?)
General discussion / Re: Photobucket
« Last post by Leman on Today at 08:44:15 AM »
I have now relocated to Flickr and cancelled my Photobucket account. Wild horses etc.
General discussion / Re: Washes
« Last post by Leman on Today at 08:43:01 AM »
My only quibble when I was using it a few years back was that I couldn’t paint figures fast enough before at least half the tin dried up and became unusable. Also having to clean brushes with tupr substitute was a pain.
Eye Candy / Re: ECW command stands
« Last post by Radar on Today at 08:41:08 AM »
Thanks. How did you guess?
Eye Candy / Re: ECW command stands
« Last post by Leman on Today at 08:39:46 AM »
Again very, very nice. Are you a fan of magic wash by any chance? I use it a lot as I prefer a slight sheen on my figures as it helps them stand out under artificial light.
Eye Candy / Re: ECW dragoons
« Last post by Leman on Today at 08:37:27 AM »
Great looking figures and excellent base work as well. All in all a splendid looking unit.
Eye Candy / ECW command stands
« Last post by Radar on Today at 08:35:37 AM »
More eye candy

The king, oppressor of the people

Oliver Cromwell, champion of parliament and the common man

More shenanigans at http://www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk with not a hint of partisan bias to either side.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10