Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old school AK47 battle report with 13 players!  (Read 94 times)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Old school AK47 battle report with 13 players!
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:15:07 PM »
http://moth107.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/campbell-is-coming-no-hes-not.html?spref=fb&m=

http://blenheimtoberlin.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/ak47-15mm-revolution-somewhere-in-africa.html?m=1

Two links to a battle report by a Scottish club including Derek Hodges and Jack Glanville who back in day (14 years ago!) used to play a lot of AK47. The website back then was great inspiration detailing their own campaign  set in the fictional African country of Zetumsia. It's great stuff. Looks like they have all got back together again and got their old toys out for a traditionally chaotic 13 player game of old school AK47.

I love the new version and have played it a lot. But it has to be said the old version played in the right style with like minded people was a classic and clearly still well loved by many gamers.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Re: Old school AK47 battle report with 13 players!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 11:31:51 PM »
Thinking on It, I remember when the old Yahoogroup was filled with AK47 posts discussing how many foot groups could fit in a truck and rules variants for helicopters. Those Brixcon events were great fun with lots of creativity from the players.

I remember a volcano, tennis courts, Dr Evils secret lair and Martians to name but a few. I had some great games there. The first year I attended involved me driving to Sheffield (4 hour round trip) where there was a shop selling Peter Pig figures. This was on the Tuesday or Wednesday before the event on the Saturday. I bought enough figures for an army and painted it up by the Friday night. I'm pretty sure I came last in the event and won the wooden spoon which consisted of a 25 gift voucher for Piggie figures. I promptly spent it there and then on some more AK stuff.

Pretty sure it's where I first met Stewart as he ran through a game of Civil War Battles for me. I also remember Martin taking me through Bloody Barons during the lunch break one year too.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:39:56 AM »
That takes me back. those events were organised by Graham and Tony. The largest gathering of AK players ever!!  Think it ran for 3 years??  All good memories. One year it had Geoff from QRF in attendance too!!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »
I think it was actually 4 or 5 years. I attended 2 of them. Maybe Graham can refresh our ageing memories.

Derek H

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 09:38:17 AM »
A few of us came down from Scotland for two years and totally dominated the furthest travelled competitor competition :-)

Derek H

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:44:25 AM »
That big game has inspired me to take up AK47 again and I've revamped the old website and put it back online at https://ak47ztumsetum.wordpress.com/

I'm also refurbishing all my forces.   Is it heretical to use 30mm round bases? because that's what I'm doing.

Lots of good new plastic toys will make life cheaper.  Five T55s for 20 from PSC!   

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 03:42:18 PM »
It was great fun. You can find pictures in various places across the internet. I'll try and post a few up here in memory of those halycon days of your.

Derek H

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 11:22:02 AM »

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 11:43:03 AM »
Wonderful. I remember reading about such events on the Yahoo RFCM group - sounded like lots of fun!