Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: another clip?  (Read 103 times)

PAnz3r

• Piglet
    • View Profile
another clip?
« on: November 10, 2017, 09:56:30 PM »
Well, I love african conflicts and also AK47, could we expect, sooner or later, a new edition of AK47 rulebook? Maybe update in the general layout of the rules...because it's difficoult to introduce new gamers 2017 which such a vintage layout :/

Thanks

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: another clip?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 10:13:29 PM »
The event lists are available free on the PP website.
Can you give a bit more info about what you mean by "vintage"?   I am assuming you mean the black and white internals. That is to make the rules cheaper for buyers.  If some f the mechanisms are a bit complex maybe a video would help??

PAnz3r

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »
Well, the whole layout of the rules is a bit tricky, I read the rulebook 3 time before understand the whole game  then I done another couple of lecture crisscrossing rules and tables to learn it.

In my opinion, also the table making, the classification of terrains and their layout, are time wasting and tricky, considering that ,in a well developed club or in a "house games lair" there are already a lot of scenic element bought for mainstream games, would be better to have a ruleset that allow the use of every scenics, no matter the shape and etc.

The mechanics are funny and the flavour is good as hell, but every time I read the book I feel a strong deja-vu of '80 and '90 ruleset and not for the black and white, I can go trought it but new levys really don't like and some guys dropped directly after the first read.

My isn't a stricture, is a costructive criticism :), another re-loaded edition, with streamlined rules and layouts would be very welcome, in fact the re-loaded ruleset have 8 years and the base 20...

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 04:28:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. If you do not need the scenery section then simply ignore it. Do be careful that your opponent does not set up a river with a single bridge for you to cross.

In reply I will give some detail here, because it is good to give the group some thoughts on the matter (correct or not is the readers prerogative).

PP rules do attract a fair bit of criticism and praise. . The criticisms are often in the groups  "i hate grids", "why are these rules not like warhammer", "martin knows nothing about warfare", "how come both players get a say in the game set up", " why do the defenders have less stuff than the attackers", "needs more padding photos". "panther side armour is so way off it might as well  be made of paper" , "there are spelling mistakes", "innovative mechanisms are difficult to understand".

Praise includes "i like grids", "good narrow focus", "lets both players be part of all major decisions",  "game outcome not predictable at the half way point", "good scenario generator", "easy access to army size", " many appropriate innovations", "good play area size", "games get done in a few hours".

RFCM rule sets are complete. How many other sets give 1.scenery set ups, 2.detailed victory conditions, 3.force compositions, 4.related markers, 5.access to the writers, 6.lay flat ring binding, 7.historical background, 8.scenario generators, 9.narrow and specific historical focus, 10. New editions 8+ years apart, 11. Free download of battle and play sheets  12. Demonstrations at shows etc.  ??  Name them?

Choice of rules is very subjective and there are no correct choices.
Of course all PP rules can benefit from new editions. I recognise that.
However all RFCM  rules will be what we want them to be rather than what we think gamers will buy lots of.

There will probably be a new AK in a few years time, but you might find an alternative more to your liking before then. So best wishes if you need an alternative set to play warlord battles in Africa. If you like AK then do persist and I hope you can drop the scenery set up if it annoys you.

PAnz3r

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 09:35:46 AM »
Sorry, wans't my intention of hurt you and I will keep my idea for myself in the future.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 10:07:43 AM »
As you wish. Sorry to see you go. Hope you find another forum that suits.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 11:02:03 AM »
Sorry to hear that you do not like the rules, sorry to see you go.

PAnz3r

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 07:10:57 AM »
I'm going nowhere, and I never intended to say that I dislike the rules, maybe cause I'm nit natove I haven't express myself correctly

PAnz3r

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 07:20:18 AM »
I'm going nowhere, and I never intended to say that I dislike the rules, maybe cause I'm nit natove I haven't express myself correctly

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 08:39:44 AM »
I am glad to hear that you're still planning on hanging around here, PAnz3r, and I think we all appreciate that it can be a bit tricky communicating the full "flavour" of comments in either by email or on Forums such as this one.

Particularly when we all speak slightly different forms of English (even between native speakers...), and it's great to have non-native speakers along here too.

What I principally took from your posts is that:

a) you really enjoy playing AK47, its fun mechanisms and period flavour
b) you found the rules initially difficult to navigate and, now you do understand them, you would like to make some changes to how scenery is used in your games.

As has been stated here many times, it's up to us all how we wish to use the rules. I for one would encourage you to experiment with things that you would like to change or streamline (notably around scenery set-up) and share your results (photos are always welcome!) here. You will see that there is a "rule tweaks and extensions" area for each rule set on this Forum, so that would be the place to post them, please.

I wish you happy tinkering with AK47, and look forward to hearing how you get on.

Simon

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 10:26:54 AM »
I'd second this. Please tweak away in the comfort of morningyour own home. The AK47 rules in full give a great game. But if you want to play scenarios or simply throw some scenery down and play that's fine too.

I doubt that there are many sets of rules that receive as much playtesting as RFCM rules do. Hundreds of games are played and the rules will often change significantly  from first  version to the published article. Two big changes I can think of by way of example....Vikings going to grids and the change in morale system in PBI.

Another thing to consider is that Peter Pig aren't a multi national company. It's Martin and and a small cadre of playtesters.

Use the rules as you see fit and enjoy 😁