Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When it all goes horribly wrong...  (Read 98 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
When it all goes horribly wrong...
« on: November 03, 2017, 10:55:33 PM »
Have you ever had that modelling project - whether it be figures or terrain - that just won't go right...?

I have spent most of my meagre modelling time these last few weeks trying to finish some M48 tanks for MOCB.

These had been kicking around for ages, so I started off by touching up chipped paint (with the wrong colour - I'd mislaid my notes...).

I then had difficulty (despite gloss-varnishing the models and using Humbrol Decalfix) to get the transfers to mould to the shape of the hull: I ended up having to repaint the models where these were removed.

Having more or less succeeded second time around with the decals, I thought I'd give my newly-acquired Tamiya Weathering Master set (they come in a small case that looks like a make-up box) a go. I was really pleased with the results and so, aware that these were sensitive to being rubbed off in handling, thought I'd varnish over them.

Now, Mrs Kilgore doesn't like the smell of varnish spray in the mornings, so I brushed on Humbrol Matt Cote. The weathering promptly disappeared. I thought it might come back once the varnish was dry, but sadly not.

Thinking I had rubbed the weathering off with my brush, I weathered again and had another go with Army Painter spray varnish. Same result.

I concluded that this must be down to the carrier used, which dissolved in enamal varnish, I weathered again and brushed on some Vallejo matt acrylic varnish. Same again.

I then did a bit of online research. While there seems be some confusion between weathering powders (which need to be mixed with a liquid) and this Tamiya "make-up" on some forums, but I concluded that it was best not to varnish at all and be careful when handling. So far, with the weathering on a good matt finish, the powder seems to be staying.

With great relief, I super-glued the turrets to the hulls: job done! Except that someone came to the door when I was halfway through one of them, and I didn't push the turret down far enough. In prising it apart (which required the liberal application of some superglue de-bonder) I ended up with this:

as the whole model came off its base and collapsed..

So yes, lots of stupid mistakes on my part, but I'm wondering whether this was never really meant to be...

I'm hoping I'm not the only one who makes such errors from time to time - anyone care to share some of their blunders and help me feel a little better about this sad chapter?

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Re: When it all goes horribly wrong...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 11:23:08 PM »
All the time Simon, mainly down to me just being clumsy and not that great a modeller.

I'm ok at the painting but building stuff and gluing and tackling things like decals is a real PITA for me.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 10:37:24 AM »
Fortunately not had such a big disaster especially after so much work.

Did not know or realise that super glue eater was so effective!

I have fixed guns upside down in turrets and built some flames of war models the wrong way round.

I always have used 'Microscale' transfer products, 'MicroSet' first then on irregular surfaces 'MicroSol'.

Transfer on 15mm models are always very tricky to carry out. Like you i gloss varnish first then apply the transfer then matt varnish then dry brushing and weathering.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 01:54:52 PM »
Simon just remembered, have you tried spraying the powders with Artists Fixative or the cheap option 'hair spray' to fix it?

http://www.winsornewton.com/row/shop/oils-solvents-mediums-and-varnishes/pastels-charcoal-fixative/artists-fixative-spray-5-07-us-fl-oz-150ml-can-3034913

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 02:25:21 PM »
Thanks Les. I did find people talking online about this, but I understand that these Tamiya things are weird - as soon as any kind of liquid-like thing gets in contact they seem to dissolve.

A top tip I found was to apply them over a matt varnish to get them to stick better. I did so (in my fourth iteration...) and, having left them a few days, they seem relatively robust and resistant to handling (if not to super glue remover!).

Leman

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 08:47:02 AM »
I've had to deal with the upside down flag on a couple of occasions.