Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Capt Delves against the NVA!  (Read 102 times)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Capt Delves against the NVA!
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:52:29 AM »
Jase took the role of Capt Delves this week and faced the NVA. It was an offensive search and destroy mission in the Ay Up Duc province.

It was a real tough fight for the US, up against and enemy who are the same quality as them. The US have some potential advantages. Firstly, the NVA player never knows how big his force will be until they are committed into the fray. Secondly in assaults the US player gets to reroll his dice whereas the communist player has to accept his result. Thirdly the US player gets two artillery strikes as opposed to the NVA one.

But even so it's a tough one. Despite a couple of early successes, Jase got bogged down in fightfights and got caught by arriving NVA units assaulting him.

As is the way, this is what happened in the first assault by my newly painted NVA. I did tell Jase it was rather bad form to kill all of my new figures. He just grinned and said "Lock and load, baby!"

One of Jase's squads in a ville. Unfortunately Jase was rubbish at searching which cost him the game in the end.

Jase hunkering down.

It ended with neither player having much left on the table. But casualties are more costly to the US than the NVA. Jase only found 2 stores and the game ended as a 75pt to 50pt victory to the NVA.

Capt Delves was wounded and casevaced back to base. Will he recover for another mission? Or will he be shipped home with a purple heart pinned to his chest?

Find out in the next exciting instalment of Capt Poontang Delves!

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Capt Delves against the NVA!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 04:29:18 PM »
Another nice AAR, Sean - and some great photos!

Hoping that Captain Delves pulls through the surgery...

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 07:02:48 PM »
Great report Sean.
Looks like you had a good game.

A bit more and you would have an article for a magazine.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 12:19:57 AM »
I can feel a full blow by blow battle report coming on, may be as a video.

After watching a couple more episodes of the Ken Burns documentary, it becomes pretty clear why the in the game the NVA are classed as they are. They gave just as good as they got and in fact out fought the US in many actions. The reliability of their AK47's over the problematic M16 been one factor.

If you haven't played the NVA game, you should. It's a tough one. I think the US player has to really go for the caches as quickly as possible and get the countdown down as fast as he can to survive.

Can't wait for the next game.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 10:01:59 AM »
Yes your right Sean the NVA are tough to beat, the US have to get on and look for caches and avoid too much fighting. They need to be using their artillery to keep the NVA slowed down a bit.