Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SCW Mortars  (Read 270 times)

Trebian

• Piglet
    • View Profile
SCW Mortars
« on: October 01, 2017, 11:13:38 AM »
Are there any plans for mortar packs? I know in the past i've been a broken record on this, but they are in the original BAIT rules, and even assault guards had them in their standard TOE.

Cheers,

Graham

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: SCW Mortars
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 12:25:39 PM »
They are in the new BI rules too, including the Assault Guard force list therein :)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 01:12:07 PM »
Welcome Graham. I wondered when you might pop along!

John in York

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 03:39:16 PM »
I've always liked the mortar rules in BAIT so yes please.

Trebian

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 04:38:50 PM »
Sean,

I've been off doing other things, although I did a lot of SCW at the start of the year, having finally acquired a load of Italians. I have mostly been working on my own rules, rather than using commercially available stuff so there hasn't been much reason for me to be here. Prior to the SCW project I was doing the Taiping Rebellion and the 1879 Peru-Chile War, neither of which Martin really covers.

But then you'd know that if you followed the blog  ;)

Graham

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 06:35:54 PM »
Their maybe some more packs for the SCW, but most of us have mortars in our forces.

Next up, it is suggested, will be Vietnam.

Trebian

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 07:39:37 PM »
LBT: What mortars and crew are you using? I've got Italian mortars from the WW2 range, and some Soviet ones as well, but they aren't exactly right and there are no Asalto or suitable Beret mortar crews in any ranges. If there was suitable stuff in other ranges it'd be helpful if there were notes at the bottom of the SCW figure listing on the site.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 09:12:34 PM »
Hello Graham.  Nice to hear from you.   There is one more pack of SCW due out soon, but it is not mortars unfortunately. We can supply separate mortars easily. They can be matched with AT crew for useable mortar teams. Best of all though is the relase of the 4 armoured trucks next week or so. These are difficult to source in 15mm although there are soem about.

More news toward end of this week. October 5th??
Sorry to tease but it s best to see the models first before discussing them.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 09:30:42 PM »
Graham,

Yes I follow your blog with interest. Not my periods but always interesting none the less.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Stuff to use for SCW Mortars
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »
I used A/T crews and swapped the heads.

Mainly pack 57 for the figures, they come with Isabelino caps. Bought and swapped heads packs 87, 90, 91, had a couple from 24, 70, 117 and used a russian and italian mortar. Only 6 force types have mortars as an option. They are not a fixed requirement.

For berets there a couple to choose from in the heads range.

Andoreth

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 09:36:34 AM »
I am using Stokes-Brandt mortars from Khurasan's Grand Chaco war range. Their crews are of a similar size to Martin's and all they need are head swaps to which ever troop type you want. 

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 01:27:29 PM »
They donít turn up often so I am using two NVA mortar teams I built for the play testing but wernt needed in the final version. I may do some head swaps some time but at least they are painted and based

Kustenjaeger

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 10:52:33 AM »
Is the supporting mortar meant to be a light Valero 50mm (or equivalent) as in the pre-war army platoon TOE or the heavier 81mm? 

I don't think anyone does the 50mm Valero in 15mm so one could scratch build something looking like a British 2" mortar.

Regards

Edward

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 05:22:39 PM »
Yes Edward, all the extras are simplified for the games. If you look at armoured cars, armoured trucks etc their were many made often few in number so they are in effect generic cars and trucks.

Mortars are similar, you don't need many bases (often only two) so make you own, often its down to the colour and the 'cartoon' type construction to suggest the mortar.

If it looks like the British 2" why not start from there?

Kustenjaeger

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 11:08:00 PM »
Unfortunately I am the sort of person who wants to know how to represent the specific force so I get an bit hung up on detail. I'm looking st specifics of forces in Asturias ...