Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ECW suggestions  (Read 2896 times)

yourpaceormine

Re: ECW suggestions
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2017, 07:29:58 AM »
If you fancy expanding marketing opportunities for the range then you need a selection of caravans and campervans, a portly chap in uniform with a microphone and PA system, and some uniformed figures drinking ale. Et voila! A whole new Sealed Knot range. Of course you'd need new rules for the tabletop recreation of reenactment battles.

mellis1644

• Piglet
  • The Frozen North- https://mellis1644.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2017, 08:33:15 PM »
I'd buy a couple of the sealed knott camp setup's. What a great idea. Would be perfectas a camp for games...
 8)

If you made the figs somewhat generic then it could work for any Ancient/Medieval reception group and I'd have several camps like that. This may make it just about viable commercially. Although maybe some civilian figs from the modern ranges might allow me to custom make one. :)

yourpaceormine

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2017, 11:50:26 AM »
My, tongue in cheek comment, was inspired by a model railway layout. There is a guy who models the most amazing exhibition rail layouts; he did one set just before D-Day with troops and tanks hidden in woodland. Tanks on flat bed train trucks etc. His current layout has a Sealed Knot battle taking place.

Edit: link found
http://www.petegossrailwaymodelling.co.uk
Go to the gallery and.:
Rowlands Castle for WW2
World's End for Sealed Knot

yourpaceormine

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2017, 08:45:29 PM »
One piece cavalry - some requests. Please could there not be filler material where there should be fresh air (I realise that sometimes this is unavoidable)? Also could officers be noticeably different (cuirassier officer, has a different horse but the man's pose is very very similar to the troopers)?

I've got the one piece cavalry with sword in hat, and also some of the new cuirassiers. I understand the need to make one piece castings, and also why some poses are more production line friendly. The new cavalry in hat are great; but, tried to clean up the flash beneath the cuirassiers' pistol arms only to discover it isn't flash. It's a solid bit of moulded metal. So, at the moment I think the new cuirassier troopers will be consigned to my spares box, good job I have plenty of the old style. Will persevere with the officer though, alternatively maybe I could co-opt one of the Scots generals.

Sorry, that sounds hyper critical, it isn't meant to be.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2017, 09:16:17 AM »
Thanks for the feedback

Couple of points to consider.
These are only my opinions of course and i am not at all offended if folk find other company's cuirassiers better for their needs.

Once piece cavalry are much more difficult to make and mould than two piece castings.

The reasons I have sculpted one piece are various.  Here are some

1. Allows the rider to be in an action pose using the same plane as the  horse movement. I am sure many gamers here have had those horsemen shooting sideways into their comrades whilst the horse gallops forward. This has always been a problem when the rider is cast in one plane and the horse in another.  It does however save  money for the figure producer.
2. It takes far longer to sculpt a one piece cavalry figure because instead of re-using a horse, each horse dolly  must be furnished for just that one rider.
3.Single piece cavalry mean that less time is needed by the gamer in putting two pieces together.
4.The unified piece is much more robust than two pieces assembled.
5. The "web" between arm and horse helps minimise mould tear. If a mould has to do too much going round corners etc it will tear more quickly.

Hope these comments help inform as to how and why figures are designed here.
There is not much chance of me changing the sculpting to give under-arm undercuts. It will always be my decision as to how figures are designed.
It will probably be down to buyers to decide which criteria are more important to them.

I tend to sculpt figures the way i would want for my gaming. The cuirassiers are the way i would want for my ECW gaming.
If others don't like them then I am not upset.
It would be difficult to make cuirassiers shooting exactly forward as a two piece casting .
Two piece does tend to encourage less action. I like my men to be in action.

So, a lot more work to produce one piece cavalry but i do like them that way.
I think a unit of PP cuirassiers would look very good on the tabletop. Especially if a talent like Kev did them. they would look aggressive authentic and unified in purpose?

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2017, 10:40:05 AM »
This is a very interesting discussion, and thank you Martin for sharing your insights into the one-piece sculpt production process.

There is perhaps one more angle here from a "user" perspective i.e. that of ease of painting. I am in the process of building a mounted force for the Western rules, and very much appreciated the choice of 5 different horse sculpts (I like variety in my troops), even if some of these are - as per the mix supplied in each pack - probably more suitable for cattlemen than perhaps your average gunslinger due to the horse furniture and baggage provided. But I'm not too worried about that and intend to have unique head / body / horse combinations for each of my "cowboys".

I was on the point of sticking riders to horses when I realised that it would be much harder to paint them that way. Martin has done a lovely job on both the horse sculpting and the various bits of baggage, which would be rather harder to paint with a chap sat on top. So I'm painting the horses separately from their riders, and hope that the paint-to-paint bond will be strong enough once they're superglued together post-painting.

I'm guessing that single-piece sculpts of similar poses would be somewhat easier to paint, since the sculpting would - due to the production process - be rather more readily accessible to the brush.

So, probably all very much "horses for courses"?!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2017, 10:14:31 PM »
I seem to think the ECW dragoons were the first single casting cavalry, followed by the Samurai cavalry.

I have to agree I find them easier to paint as one casting. Also, I hate gluing figures together so it's marvellous all round in my humble opinion.

Mike6t3

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2017, 06:54:04 PM »
I prefer one piece castings too, I find them easier to paint and more importantly they are stronger (no riders becoming detached mid game). I'm not to fussed about blocks of metal in undercuts as I tend not to notice once painted and several feet away on the table.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2017, 05:50:16 PM »
The one piece models are excellent, well worth the extra effort and money.

The methods used to produce the casting have to be the sculptor's choice, and part of the choice of the figures you like has to be how the sculptor choices to produce the casting.

So if you like the figures a firm produces you cannot complain about how the sculptor designs the figures.

Al Packer

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2017, 05:01:17 PM »
FWIW I really don't like the one piece figures at all, the infil ruins what is a decent sculpt, to me they seem flat and lifeless compared with the two piece figures  which I actually find easier to paint, allow for more variety, and the few seconds it takes to glue a figure onto a horse is just not an issue). I can see why Martin wants to do them that way, and of course that is entirely up to him, but personally I think they are a retrograde step and its highly unlikely that I'll be buying any in any of the ranges or any new ranges any time soon if this is the way of the future. I'm very glad I built up my ECW armies a while back and was lucky enough to be gifted a regiment of "lobsters" by a friend that were in keeping with Martin's excellent originals. If only I could remember who made them.....

Leman

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2017, 07:40:16 PM »
Has anyone thought of, or tried, painting the infill as shadow, i.e. black. Currently my only one piece cavalry are 1914 Belgian Guides command and 1914 German dragoons, as yet unpainted. Having been dissatisfied with If the Lord Spares Us, I am now looking at Tin Soldiers in Action and so may well start painting again soon. I rather like the old school individually based figure approach of TSiA.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2017, 08:17:31 PM »
That's exactly what I do Leman. As a wargames model the one piece figures are robust and from 3' when painted as shadow these areas of the figure disappear.

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2017, 08:48:38 PM »
Yes I prefer the 1 piece castings, my Early WW1 German cavalry keep getting off their horses and 1 has deserted. Once painted and based, on the table they look fine.