Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Magnification devices for painting.  (Read 1684 times)

Mike Tanner

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
Re: Magnification devices for painting.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 07:16:56 PM »
Thank you for the advice guys.

I have finally finished my experimental figures. They are varnished with a Vallejo matt finish although the photographs make them appear shiny. Please feel free to critique my work if you wish. I have a thick skin so don't pull your punches. I couldn't varnish the gravel though because of the flock. Perhaps I should add the flock after varnishing next time. :-[

I primed a platoon of SADF infantry (PP professionals) this morning and will crack on with them on Friday. The detail on the PP figures is great, I only hope my painting will do them justice.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 06:46:29 AM »
Looking good, Mike: which figures are these?

And yes, I never add varnish after flock (too much danger of flock lifting and stick to bit of the figures for my taste).

Looking forward to your PP Professionals: these should come out very nicely with similar techniques.

Good luck!

Simon

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 07:52:49 PM »
Figure painting and basing looking very good.

For your varnish try an artists matt varnish, you will find it in any good art shop.

With some varnishes you do need to be aware of humidity, the higher the humidity the greater the risk of it going gloss. If this happens wait a few days and varnish again.

As Simon says do the flock as the very last task, and wait a few days for the varnish to fully harden and dry.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 09:12:55 PM »
Thanks Les - I wasn't aware of the humidity issue (but have had problems with my matt varnish being somewhat glossy at times!).

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 02:48:26 PM »
Low temperatures also affect the varnishes don't use below 6 degrees.

Brush and Paint Pad Application
Use a wide, soft hair brush or paint pad (vacuum the pad prior to use to remove lint). Size of area to be varnished will determine the size of the applicator. The smaller the surface area, the narrower the brush. Generally, a 1-4" flat brush is used.
Apply Liquitex varnish in 1-3 thin coats, rather than 1 thick coat. A thick coat will take longer to dry, may dry cloudy, may drip or sag during application and has a greater chance of showing brush strokes when dry.
Horizontal surface application is best with less chance of varnish running. After varnishing, the surface should be shielded with a protective "tent". This will prevent any dust or airborne particles from settling into varnish as it dries.
Apply Liquitex varnish in slightly overlapping pattern that covers entire artwork. Apply in horizontal and vertical brush strokes, so that entire area is evenly coated.
Do not rework areas you might miss as the brush could pick up partially dried varnish and cause clouding. If areas are missed, wait until the varnish is dry and apply another coat.
When applying Liquitex Matte Varnish or Satin Varnish, apply no more than 1-2 thin coats. A thick application may result in cloudiness when dry. If more than 2 coats are desired, first varnish with Gloss Varnish until desired thickness is achieved, then final varnish with matte or satin varnish.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 03:36:17 PM »
Thanks, Les - there are some great tips in there!

Mike Tanner

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 09:11:13 PM »
Looking good, Mike: which figures are these?

I am very fortunate to have found this forum as it is a veritable fount of wargaming knowledge. Those figures would have turned out nowhere near as good without all the good advice from you guys.

The figures are Armies Army: Soviet VDV Infantry Spetznas Team

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 08:46:26 PM »
We try hard to please.

mellis1644

• Domestic Pig
  • The Frozen North- https://mellis1644.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 09:35:57 PM »

If I add the varnish with a brush do I risk ruining the wash? Would using an airbrush be better? 

Lovely toys and nice painting.

Living in the 'extreeme' weather around the Canadian great lakes I have moved to paint on varnish. Spray on is too effected by cold/moisture/heat <sigh what a climate> to do sensibly if I don't want to kill myself with the fumes by spraying inside. I don't own an airbrush so that's not an option. :)

My recommendation is to wait at least 24 hours from a wash before varnishing. But some washes may be picked up a little even then I find. Not badly but it can happen. Depends on the wash being used as to whether they really are stable. I find some inks (especially the old GW ones) never truly stabilize and can be picked up. Most of the newer washes are fine though I find.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 10:03:15 PM »
Good point about inks.

I recently used Vallejo matt varnish over a Coat d'Arms blue wash. Despite having had several days to dry, the wash got picked up and ran with the varnish. It was easy to remove and so no major drama, but it reminded me of this thread. And indeed of my own advice to use a different base of varnsh to that of the paint on the figures. Needless to say, tonight I'm back to army Painter Quickshade (thins with Turpentine substitute) over acrylic paints :)

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 04:16:55 PM »
One reason why I switched to magic wash. I find it works particularly well over Vallejo satin varnish.

mellis1644

• Domestic Pig
  • The Frozen North- https://mellis1644.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 02:46:34 PM »
I must admit I like the new GW shades. Maybe not the cheapest but they are easy to get hold off and their coverage is simple to control. They leave a shiny finish but a matte varnish solves that anyway.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 07:47:14 PM »
Try the Secret Weapon washes from Wayland games. They are closer to glazes than just inks.