Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Salute  (Read 544 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Salute
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 06:56:08 PM »
I do hope everyone enjoyed Salute, that the Western game was well received and that the Peter Pig stand did a roaring trade.

Harry Potter was altogether somewhat different, although some great modelling (both small scale and 1:1) was on display.

Interesting to note that the fibreglass film sets were painted exactly as we would do wargames scenery: an all-over colour: some blocking in of detail; a few coats of dry-brush; an overall wash and then sticking on foliage.

@Radar: a top tip would be to bring your own food and drink: the on-site catering was crowded, not cheap and nothing special.

The "white card" scale models of sets were very impressive too. Generally made out of thin foamboard but at some weird scales (e.g. 3/8" to 1 foot) but worked for all sorts of complicated shapes that must have required lots of work. I may just stick with Martin's resin models!

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
    • Lurkio
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 07:51:43 PM »
yes, all far more relaxed, not clashing with the marathon.

Show looked spartan ?  definitely more floorspace visible - anyone else think so?

Radar

• Supporter 2018
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 08:43:29 PM »
Sadly my laundry mountain is much much bigger than the new lead mountain. #3 son was 'a bit poorly', if anyone's shoes got splattered please accept my apologies! Didn't even manage to look around the whole show. Think we lasted an hour before, well 'the event'. Had to go to Asda to buy new clothes. Took 5 hours to get back to our hotel in Watford. Bit gutted to say the least; doubly so because I had tickets for the Royal Academy Charles 1 exhibition, and it's the final weekend.

So I guess everybody else had a better Salute than we did.

@ColonelK. Thanks for the tip.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 09:58:01 AM »
Salute reviews will often be a mix of subjective and objective,
Here area mixture of these two.
Considering the organising club is doing it for noble reasons, it is  probably the "best" show that could possibly be organised by anyone on the planet. Some gamers  ask for more but are unwilling to pitch in with extra money or personal effort.
Anyway, from a PP perspective. Here goes.
The big demonstration games- as ever , marvellous. Probably the best there has ever been. Of particular note, was a very well modelled ACW in 30mm(?)  Big fort, big ship and loads of infantry. Not seen anything that impressed me more in the past. A nice Spanish horse and musket game in 25mm. Gaskin's island.
The cleverest game was the Zombie salute. The gamers had built a 25mm model of the salute show including trade stands and games. The players had to get their pre-orders and escape before the zombies got them. This game was clever(good ideas), engaging, appropriate and very amusing. Under my subjective criteria it was far and away the best game of the show.
The amount of effort put in by gamers was very impressive. I am not referring to paint or scenery quality, but the effort and intent.
Not seen any other show with that range (not necessarily quantity) of games.
Plenty of space at this show. There was seating, chairs and wide aisles. This space obviously costs the show money, but makes it a better experience for me.
It allows groups to stand and chat (good),  without blocking off any directions.
Traders as so  often is the case push against any sensible rules laid down by the organisers. There are the "let's push our stock out into the aisles to see f we can trip someone up". Also "if i get there early so i can move the other trade stands about so i can benefit"
The carrier bag and treats looked exceptional this year as it contained a wonderful 25mm WW1 vignette. Well worth 10 or so. Very very nice, but i did not get one...shame.
The refreshments were at the pricey end but it is a top London venue after all, so all is fair there.
The Western game was well received (I think).  Rob did a sterling job of playing it all day long and end to end. Western was  not in the running for best participation game but did fulfil it's objective of showing the game off and engaging casual gamers too.
Loading and unloading were good, but there was an hour wait to get into the hall. This can be ameliorated by the fact that the van can be driven into the actual hall and alongside the trade stand.

As a gamer would i go again?  Most certainly.
As a trader would i go again? Probably.

The hardest working people are probably the organisers, followed by the grand display gamers, followed by the rest of the gamers, followed by the traders.

Thanks to all those who worked for Peter Pig, played Western, bought PP stuff and dropped by for chat.

We worked so hard all day there could have been a missile attack and we would not have known.
We got home well after bed time, so no story, just straight up the wooden hill.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 11:18:47 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it, Martin, and it sounds as though the Western game went well if Rob was kept so busy!

I must try to schedule family events better so that I can attend one year....

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 01:29:52 PM »
I missed it for the first time in years. A friend had asked to swap weekend cover to allow him to go to a wedding. Still felt odd yesterday sat in the office whilst lots of fun was being had. A group of 9 from the Stoke club attended and had a splendid day. Its not a show at which o spend a lot of money....its more for the social element.

Glad it went well Martin. I'll be back next year and always happy to help run the game....whatever next year's game is!!

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 02:26:09 PM »
Sean is the wargames corner finished and up and running?

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »
Martin the ACW game does look very good.

Was there more historical or fantasy games this year?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 06:58:46 PM »
Good Question Les.
I wold say that there were very few fantasy games in the traditional club vein. Instead there were a very large amount of 2x2 foot skirmish fantasy games put on by commercial concerns. 

Smiley Miley 66

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 05:59:00 PM »
As Sean said hopefully I will be there next year, I just could not afford it this time around.
But I am glad that the day went well.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 06:34:37 PM »
At least a couple of pictures were taken.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 07:00:54 PM »
another picture