Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hex mat for pirates  (Read 571 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Hex mat for pirates
« on: March 16, 2018, 03:39:50 PM »
If you have to buy a hex mat/cloth in order to play the pirate game, would that put you off getting the rules?
I am considering using squares (easy to mark out)  or hexagons (fit with existing POE ideas).
Thoughts?

Lurkio

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Lurkio
Re: Hex mat for pirates
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 03:53:20 PM »
One interesting idea I saw was a plain mat. but the ships were on a (large) hex base. Movement was measured in other hex base that were simply placed on one of the 6 faces ...   Hex movement but without the hexes on the table

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 04:17:14 PM »
I've seen the "free hex" idea Mr Lurkio refers to for WW1 planes too.

But to answer Martin's question, I for one wouldn't mind buying a hex mat to play a new version of the Pirate game on. Hexes somehow seem more suitable for sailing ships, over which the crew has less control than, say, that of a tank.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 05:55:12 PM »
The free hexes idea you saw was probably/possibly from the first edition of Hammerin Iron in 1990? I have seen others use it for other games since. It is still in the second edition. We also used it for the Pieces of Eight rules edition 1 and 2. 
Problem is, the free hexes can still be nudged etc by players so is probably too imprecise for the arcs etc i am seeking.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 07:01:47 PM »
So, hex mats it is...?  8)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 07:34:43 PM »
Not sure. thought i would bounce ideas of the cognisenti (clever heads) here?

Squares would give the boats 8 directions.
very easy to map out.
Gun arcs  would need to be 90' in order to use the grid pattern easily.
Hexes can be done by using a template. ie a big sheet with holes drilled in it through which a marker can be poked.
Triangles also can be considered but the geometry might prove tricky for folk as they would be used in pairs. The table would look good though.
If the pattern print was easy i would also like to use octagons with squares.The octagon for movement but the square for gun arcs.
I have seen the offset squares as used in the "Trireme  LWS" rules. They perform a bit like hexagons but are no easier to print (but easier to draw) so might give that idea a miss.

This is all just long range  planning as Western seems to need another  month at the least!  This is because the campaign needs going over.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 08:00:09 PM »
You have a good amount of basic ideas in the Hammerin Iron rules for how to use the hexes for the relationship between things. Shooting, movement etc. And there are some good workable ideas in the current version of Pieces of Eight.

A hex cloth for me please.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 08:15:33 PM »
Could I suggest that:

1. a 90 degree gun arc is very generous: ships basically fired (I think!) broadsides with little wriggle-room at an individual gun level, so the ships need to be pointing in the right direction to bring their guns to bear
 2. hexes give somewhat more consistent movement distances than squares
 3. sailing ships generally go in straightish lines until they tack or jibe - wiggling around squares with the odd diagonal movement thrown in seems a little weird
 4. octagons would be better in terms of providing both the cardinal and intercardinal / ordinal points of the compass, but don't tessellate quite so well (unless a clever use could be thought of for the squares between the octagons i.e. presumably when travelling in a cardinal direction...)

I will now stand well back and wait to get shot down on all of the above points...

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 10:45:41 PM »
All good points that contribute to the discussion. Thanks