Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Here's the way to play Gettysburg.  (Read 906 times)

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Here's the way to play Gettysburg.
« on: March 06, 2018, 07:56:34 PM »
TV Series on in the UK called Battleground featuring Edward Woodward with Peter Gilders figures and Terrain. Peter and Edward first met on the movie Callan which featured a wargame setup by Peter for the movie.  Made by Tyne Tees television around 1978. Tyne Tees were a regional part of ITV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jDo-XaRxl4&t=946s

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Here's the way to play Gettysburg.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 01:43:34 PM »
Those were the days my friend. The days we thought would never end... ( who is that?)

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 03:29:46 PM »
Mary Hopkin - apparently she was discovered by Tom Jones - and heís still in that game on The Voice. I seem to remember a Callan episode which featured a Russian spy and a Crimean Wargame. Callan told him that Britain beat the Russians then as well.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 09:31:36 PM »
Good spot that man!

lowroller

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 09:17:09 PM »
Ah! Callan...  I remember watching an episode where Callan was wargaming with the villain of the piece, and Callan objecting strongly to the cad's decision to fire canister into an ongoing melee, with callous disregard to the casualties he would inflict on his own troops.
It was that episode that inspired me to find out more about this 'wargaming' hobby rather than just playing made-up games of my own with my various Airfix packs.

How far we have come since then <sigh>.

So if that was 50 years or so ago, you have an idea what age this particular wargamer is now - and still losing far more battles than I win, but enjoying them all.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 10:46:34 AM »
I know that feeling exactly, but as someone on another forum said - these rules (not a RFCM set) are not very good because the Prussian army is superior to the French (SYW) so the French canít possibly win. There speaks a man who hasnít worked out the difference between wargaming and chess.