Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is there a section on assets missing  (Read 756 times)

Ilchester

• Piglet
  • Staggeringly popular in this manor.
    • View Profile
Is there a section on assets missing
« on: November 19, 2017, 11:46:42 PM »
I've read the rules thoroughly and I can find nothing on how to use assets. It tells me what they are and what effect they have and when I can try use them, but nothing about how they work. I did find a helpful clip on Youtube so I get the gist, but I'm not clear what happens if I get multiple 6's when rolling for an asset - do I get multiple effects or just one?
I'm sure there are another set of rules which use assets, it's just that I don't own them!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Re: Is there a section on assets missing
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 09:17:39 AM »
Just one effect, no matter how many 6's you roll.

Ilchester

• Piglet
  • Staggeringly popular in this manor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 10:24:25 PM »
Thanks that is what I thought seemed logical, but where in the rules does it say that? There needs to be an addendum

Kustenjaeger

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »
Greetings

When a friend and I worked through the rules last weekend we had the same concern about missing information on assets and had to look at the YouTube clip.

Regards

Edward

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 07:52:54 PM »
I think Martin has this in hand, in the interim they do work as used in some of the earlier rulesets.

John in York

• Supporter 2018
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 09:51:39 PM »
Sorry to raise this again but the issue is still being discussed in my group. Can assets be won multiple times or are they only single use? If the latter why does the YouTube video show dice being saved for later tries? What is to be gained from splitting the dice? Thanks

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 10:17:14 PM »
John,

Basically you choose how many dice (of the total number available for that asset) you wish to "risk" on each attempt (i.e. each turn).

So, say you have chosen Tank Hunters, and for your force this has a value of 11. You could throw all 11 dice in one go, but then you might expect to get, on average, almost 2 6's. This could be seen as a waste of dice, as you could not try for this asset again (no more dice left).

You may quite like Tank Hunters to arrive on that turn, but not be desperate, and so choose 4 dice, leaving 7 left. You have a slightly-better-then-evens chance of getting a 6 from 4 dice and still get to have another go or two in later turns, each with a good chance of scoring a 6. Even leaving just 1 or 2 dice in reserve is handy, since your opponent can't be sure you won't score a 6 at that crucial moment.

Does that help at all?

Simon

John in York

• Supporter 2018
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 10:31:12 PM »
Thanks for your reply Simon. But to be absolute clear if I score a 6 with one of the first 4 dice in your example I get Tank Hunters then but don't have any more goes with the remaining dice?

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 11:15:01 PM »
John,

In that example, the remaining 3 dice of your original 4 are wasted, as you can only have a given asset once per turn.

However, you still have 7 dice left to try and get Tank Hunters again on another turn - or indeed turns. So, if you are really lucky (and chose just to risk one dice each turn), you could in theory get them 7 more times in the same game (if there were enough turns).

Is that better?

Simon

John in York

• Supporter 2018
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 09:33:11 AM »
Yes, now I understand it means once per turn rather than once per game the whole thing makes much more sense. Thank you for your patience and time Simon.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 09:38:34 AM »
Excellent - have fun, and good luck in rolling those 6's!