Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's game night- what mat to use  (Read 1932 times)

NTM

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Re: It's game night- what mat to use
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 09:19:53 AM »
I must admit I use the GW Mat that they brought out about five years ago. 

I use the one they made before that

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 10:22:15 AM »
Are there 2 types of GW mat?
I have the one taht is bright green anda black back cloth. Grass is 2mm long nylon tuft??

I really like this mat.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 03:16:29 PM »
Yes their mats have a lot of potential.  I have 3 which are excellent. They do need to sort out their measuring. I have had mats where the 6" squares weren't and the mat did not reach the 5 foot and 3 foot measurements. Maybe they could do an announcement about how they have improved what is basically an excellent product.

Er - I have had a total of 4 during the comings-and-goings over the last few months that didn't quite have evenly-spaced (or even parallel) lines, nor were the sides cut parallel, nor did the mats reach 5 x 3. And the fact that they kept shipping these out seems to point to a quality control problem too.

However, they tell met that they have now redesigned the file for the 5' x 3' Grass mat, so that it has a border around it like your Arid one. I think this has it cracked now - if everything is right within the border, they just need to cut around the border and everything is fine.

My squares are all a tad bigger than 6" each way, but they are evenly-spaced and I'm happy with the finished articles.

So hopefully all is good now and the non-square squares and incorrectly-cut mats are a thing of the past.

NTM

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 10:16:06 PM »
Are there 2 types of GW mat?
I have the one taht is bright green anda black back cloth. Grass is 2mm long nylon tuft??

I really like this mat.

Mine is the same bought it about 5 years ago and it became unavailable shortly after. The new one fat wally referred to released afterwards probably isn't that much different I imagine just thevresult of them going to a different manufacturer. Don't think they have a product like it now though.

NTM

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 12:04:35 PM »
So hopefully all is good now and the non-square squares and incorrectly-cut mats are a thing of the past.

Not with the latest Battlefront mat which is a shame as I like that it's reversible

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 07:18:33 PM »
Basic as the mat is, the GW green mat is just the just for the rolling green for the ECW games.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 10:42:08 PM »

Not with the latest Battlefront mat which is a shame as I like that it's reversible

What ios wrong with the Battlefront mat? I was considering it myself.

NTM

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 07:35:19 AM »
They came out an inch or so smaller than the advertised 48x72. Apparently they were cut under tension. BF have therefore had to take a load back and give refunds. The colours are also not quite the same as the original details given which may well be down to the fact the supplier let them down and they had to get a new one. I  may well pick one up if I can get it cheap as my table is only 5'x3'

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 11:33:37 AM »
Wow: I wasn't previously aware that Battlefront were doing mats now, and it's rather shocking that they can't get this right either!

As Martin has previously queried, how hard can this be?!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 07:21:10 PM »
I must say I have a soft spot for making your own cloth and painting on details. Martin has been doing this for years and I have copied him. My Somme game used a self painted mat which looked ok once the terrain and figures were on it.

Dumb sight cheaper too!

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 09:01:36 PM »
I think a good DIY mat [and the photos of yours looked great, Sean] will always be better than a bought one. There's a guy - I think from the US - who does some absolutely phenomenal stuff in 6mm terrain - I saw some of his at Colours last year, as well as in the glossies.

However, the convenience of a pre-measured (well, mostly!) and readily-foldable mat was quite a draw for me. I've tried (and failed) several times with self-made mats, so would rather spend my precious time painting figures. So - while I too like making my own terrain - I swallowed my pride, tightened my belt and took the plunge into "commercial" mats.

I only have admiration for folk like you and Martin who manage to pull it off so well.

NTM

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 09:03:43 PM »
Think I may have a go at making my own desert mat using a cotton dust sheet as a starting point.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 09:19:40 PM »
Good luck - it's all those grid lines / corner dots that I found bothersome!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 09:35:32 PM »
You're right Simon. This is a discussion I have had with Stewart Meecham. I fluctuate between wanting to just buy all the templates and scenery bits from S&A scenics and wanting to make my own. Trouble is that the image in my head of what I want is often different to my ability to pull it off.  Same with buildings for SCW. The typical 'Penninsular Wars' buildings look quite easy to scratch build but it is so easy to buy the ones sold by SHQ that the question is often is it worth it?

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 10:14:36 PM »
Trouble is that the image in my head of what I want is often different to my ability to pull it off.

Ha ha - my problem exactly.

I think it's well worth trying, since sometimes it does come off. Equally, I have come to the conclusion that life is too short for some things, and try to recognise a lost cause when I see one!