Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: artillery  (Read 89 times)

Peterloo

• Piglet
    • View Profile
artillery
« on: July 12, 2017, 09:46:53 AM »
Having played our first proper game , usual thing - it doesn't say it in the rules (I think) - but can you artillery open squares with no-one in them so the fire pattern lands on troops you cannot see ?

I would say no , but my opponent takes a more wargaming view of things.  I don't think it doesn't specify were you can drop artillery but any thoughts?

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: artillery
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 01:09:54 PM »
Peter,

I think you have it right here.

I believe that the relevant section is under the Artillery section: "One of the target squares must be visible to a foot unit of the shooting side. This square must contain a target." [I am going from a near-final draft, as I don't have the published rules to hand at the moment, but I don't think this logic changed in the final document].

So, you can shoot at squares you cannot see (if they are part of the strike pattern) but you do need to be able to see at least one square and that visible square does need to contain a target.

Does that help?

Simon

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 08:16:12 PM »
Yep I think your correct Simon.
One square with enemy in or not must be able to be seen to call in the artillery strike.

Peterloo

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 09:15:40 AM »
Thanks , yes found it. (I'm still struggling with the rules layout - finding things, )
With the Artillery spotter asset is it He can call in 3 artillery shots - Total or per turn? (again was interpreted as per turn but I wonder as verse VC it says you can only have 1 artillery shot per turn)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 11:48:10 AM »
Peter,

In the Assets section of the rules, we have "Allows any 3 artillery actions on 3,4,5,6, during the game."

I understand that this means:

a) the Artillery Observer can only be used 3 times total during the whole game
b) these are not additional rolls, but only affect the "normal" artillery rolls [notably since it is also stated that "If unannounced it is assumed the normal 5,6 (or 4,5,6 if NVA in play) is being sought."]

So, we are basically paying for this Artillery Spotter asset to be able to increase the chance of getting an artillery strike in at 3 points in the game.

Does anyone disagree with this interpretation?

Simon

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 12:07:15 PM »
Your are correct Simon.
The paid for asset improves the artillery, but a squad still has to see the one of the three squares still.  And he must be with the platoon HQ who will carry out the roll. If they are after the fail in a turn you will only get one roll and no other action.