Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mary Rose  (Read 98 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Mary Rose
« on: September 12, 2017, 05:39:05 PM »
Webt to see the Mary Rose today. Anyone else been??

Rittervonbek

• Supporter 2017
  • Piglet
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Rose
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 06:12:31 PM »
Yes we were there a month ago. Love the ambience and salt smell of the timbers.  The Ritterin feels a real connection but our six year old daughter is not quite so rapt.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 06:20:01 PM »
Yes it was greta. It seems to be at the very forefront of museum design. i even enjoyed the panoramic lift ride.

Of interest to gamers is the mixture of wars of the roses type artillery. Removable breech block and iron ring bound barrel.
Alongside culverins and similar, which were beautifully cast and very long bronze guns. these cannon were used side by side. aso f interest if that the crew used handguns and bows , also side by side.

this makes Mary Rose a really transitional ship.

A recommended visit (18 each)

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2017
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 07:53:33 PM »
Went many years ago (about 20), and I even remember when they showed it being raised on TV.

myrm

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 02:26:02 PM »
I remember watching her being raised. I have been once many moons ago and there hadn't been a lot of work done as she was still in conservation.
If this sort of thing interests you then if you can you really should visit the Vasa in Stockholm. The ship is far more complete and the conservation and restoration is far more advanced.
The two academic teams do work together as well, so you will sometimes find some of the Mary Rose staff at the Vasa in the little academic cage they have for you to 'watch the scientist'....not that I would particularly enjoy having the public looming over my shoulder as they work.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 05:12:41 PM »
Yes, i would like to see te Vasa. It came to my attention when Airfix brought out their kit of that.

myrm

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 10:08:04 AM »
One image of the Vasa......she is quite spectacular.

mellis1644

• Piglet
  • The Frozen North- https://mellis1644.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 02:00:17 PM »
Had an excuse to see the Victory and Mary Rose a few times. Each of them both for different reasons are well worth the entrance - now especially. Another interesting site down there is the Gosport Sub center across the habour mouth.