Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Units  (Read 91 times)

Tony

• Piglet
    • View Profile
New Units
« on: September 11, 2017, 03:36:35 PM »
It is quite probable that I am being particularly thick here and missing some very obvious point that is highlighted elsewhere but......

On page 57 under "New Unit Leaders" the second paragraph refers to birthing new units. I understand who gets new leaders and in what circumstances and I understand how the second paragraph rule would work to birth a new unit; i.e. create a leader from the old unit swapping out a normal base and adding up to one other normal base from the old unit and then having that new unit take its turn presumably moving away from the old unit to avoid "overloading squares". HOWEVER what I do not understand is who can do this? I can see a logic that says VC can do this easily .. "Bo take three men and...". I could even extrapolate that logic out to more formal military organisations both White Star and the NVA; "Corporal Kowalski etc" but is that what is really wanted, particularly for the US side, continuously splitting its sections amoeba like into smaller and smaller units.

Massive preamble, simple question: Who can form new units by birthing new leaders?

Tony

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: New Units
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 06:49:41 AM »
Tony, I believe the point here is that the birthing analogy "to create a new unit" only applies to the creation of a new PC (white star) or CC (NVA). And these can only be created if the existing PC or CC has been killed.

In all other instances (whether white star, NVA or VC), the new leader is simply created from within the unit that has lost its leader.

The important bit here, I think, is the preamble to the New unit leader section, which notably states that unit leaders can only be created if the existing one is dead.

So, no amoeba-like multiplication of units: the overall unit number never increases beyond that at the start of the game.

At least, that is how I read it - perhaps someone else would care to confirm my interpretation?

Simon

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:43:15 AM »
Thanks Simon

100% correct.
saves me time too!

extract
"The VC player can only  generate  new leaders for the unit itself".
thanks

Tony

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 08:29:43 AM »
Thank you both. It is also how I understood it but it was the use of the termini technici that confused me. Unit for both a single base and the normal usage s one of the 5 groups of bases.  Tony